Preparing for an Undergraduate Audition
- Submit the Undergraduate Audition Application Request form (online application - available in September)
- You will be required to upload a current resume prior to submitting the audition application request form (you may use the template above or a template of your choosing).
- You will be required to submit a minimum of 2 names and email addresses for those submitting letters of recommendation in support your admission.
- Select your music based on the Undergraduate Audition Repertoire requirements for your primary instrument or voice part
- Note, some areas have specific requirements based on your desired major.
- Contact recommenders and inform them they will receive an email request for a recommendation (see UnderGrad Admissions Checklist)
- Students interested in Sound Recording Technology (SRT) must submit an additional application (see the SRT website for details)
- Jazz Performance Majors must perform a separate jazz audition
On Audition Day applicants will be required to complete the following:
- perform on their primary instrument
- an aural (listening) assessment of musicianship skills
Assessment of Musicianship Skills students will demonstrate their ability to:
- Match pitch - We play a pitch at the piano, and you sing the same pitch anywhere in your singing range.
- Compare two pitches played on the piano - Is the second pitch higher, lower, or the same as the first?
- Sing a major scale (in any key)
- Echo-sing a short tune
- Sing “Happy Birthday”
- Sightsing a melody
- Echo-clap rhythmic patterns
- Sightread a rhythm in 4/4 and in 6/8
(Most of the above activities require singing. If you are not a singer, you may want to “warm up the pipes” and practice these activities).