Welcome to the Texas State University Orchestra program! Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our orchestras will be exclusively online for the fall 2020 semester with no in-person rehearsals or performances, but we will continue as an online ensemble.
Additionally, auditions will still take place but through video submission. Please refer to the Fall 2020 Auditions tab at the top of this page, or click this link to learn more about auditions for the Fall 2020 semester.
Orchestras at Texas State have a long tradition of excellence, and the TXST Orchestra Program will continue this tradition by delivering positive, creative, collaborative, and musically meaningful experiences that will further our orchestra members' education and their understanding of being an orchestral musician even in this time of difficulty. These include:
- A diverse array of guest speakers from across the professional, educational, and administrative arts world will be meeting with the orchestra throughout the semester.
- We will premiering a new work commissioned for the orchestra and written with the difficulties of this era in mind.
- We will be collaborating with Merge Dance Company to offer a visual component to our commissioned work.
- We will be collaborating with the Texas State Composition Area to pair student composers with chamber ensembles made up of the members of the TXST Symphony to create new musical miniatures.
- We will be diving deep into Mahler's 1st Symphony with the goal of performing it live when circumstances allow us to do so.
We are excited about the musical and educational opportunities this year and hope you will join us either as a member of our orchestras or as a member of our virtual audience. Please explore our newly updated site to find out more about all of the projects that are planned for the orchestra, our guest speaker series, the updated audition process, scholarship opportunities, and how you can further support the amazing work these students do.