It is with deep regret that we must inform all participants and families that next week's camp is cancelled. A recent Texas State music camp was forced to close early due to a Covid outbreak and we are concerned for the health and safety of our string camp community. This was a heart breaking decision to make and one that we do not make lightly.
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. We know this is a major disappointment and disruption. String Camp is a highlight of our year and we are all very saddened by this turn of events.
Each year at TSUSC we look for new and exciting ways to let strings students express themselves! Elective classes are designed to enhance the traditional camp experience with a variety of creative courses. Electives are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, so make sure to indicate your choices when you register!
**All-State Clinic participants may enroll in one elective; all other students will be placed in two electives according to preference.
· Improv for strings - learn the fundamentals of improv and all that can happen on a string instrument.
· Composing/Arranging – Learn how to compose and arrange for small string ensembles! Students will develop their musical imagination and creativity by composing and/or arranging musical works. Students will also explore a range of techniques and styles, and develop an appreciation of arranging and/or composing as a creative music-making process.
· Music History and Appreciation – Baroque, Classical, Romantic and 20th century styles and periods of music will be discussed with attention to the development and importance of string instruments in music history. Students will gain knowledge about composers, artists and other interesting facts about music history.
· Instrumental Techniques – Get to know the ins and outs of your instrument! We will work on vibrato, shifting, fingerboard geography, sight-reading skills and more. Explore tricks for better tuning and learn techniques for better rhythm and reading.
· Viola Choir / Cello Choir - Those who have never experienced the thrill of playing in a low-string ensemble should consider this elective! Viola and cello students will learn pieces arranged for lower strings, strengthen rhythmic abilities and learn to “sing” on their instruments.
· Alternative Bass Styles – Are you fascinated by the versatility of the string bass? In the ever-changing arena of modern music, classically trained bass players also have the ability to play in multiple genres of music such as jazz, hip hop and salsa. In this elective, students will have a chance to push their skills to a new level by exploring the various alternative styles with members of TSUSC bass faculty. Students may opt to bring an electric bass or use their own upright acoustic. This class is open to string bass players only.