It is with deep regret that we must inform all participants and families that next week's camp is cancelled. A recent Texas State music camp was forced to close early due to a Covid outbreak and we are concerned for the health and safety of our string camp community. This was a heart breaking decision to make and one that we do not make lightly.
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. We know this is a major disappointment and disruption. String Camp is a highlight of our year and we are all very saddened by this turn of events.
For thirty four years, the Texas State University String Camp has been providing extraordinary music faculty from the Texas State School of Music, a unique Hill Country atmosphere, innovative music ensembles and classes, and a week of memorable fun and friendships. Each summer, more than one hundred talented and motivated young people come to the Texas State Strings Camp to live, learn and perform with an unparalleled group of peers and educators.
The Texas State University String Camp (TSUSC) offers a one-of-a-kind summer program that strikes a chord with a diverse group of young string musicians from classical aficionados, to aspiring improvisers, to fiddling fanatics. This year’s TSUSC is scheduled for June 19 - June 25th, 2022 on the campus of Texas State University-San Marcos and is carefully designed for violin, viola, cello and bass students ages 12 through 18. Students should have at least one year of experience in playing and reading music. This annual event is sponsored by the Texas State University School of Music.
San Marcos, gateway to the picturesque Texas Hill Country, is the home of Texas State University-San Marcos. The university is located on the banks of the San Marcos River, which provides year round recreational and leisure activities such as fishing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, camping and scuba diving to name a few. The glass-bottomed boats at Aquarena Springs and the mysterious caves at Wonder World are only minutes away! San Marcos is strategically located in the center of the state of Texas, on IH-35, approximately midway between Austin and San Antonio.
Every TSUSC young musician will be able to achieve the following:
• musical growth through daily interaction with experienced faculty and talented peers
• an opportunity to establish friendships with other young musicians
• exploration of musical interests through orchestra, ensemble and unique electives
Highlights during the week include:
• Daily Rehearsals, Classes and Performances – Texas State University String Faculty members and Guest Clinicians from across the state will oversee all students as they rehearse/perform with one of four String Orchestras and participate in Chamber Quartets/Ensembles, String Sectionals and Electives.
• Private Lessons – Students may choose to enroll in up to three (3) private lessons with a member of the Texas State Faculty for an additional cost of $25 per half hour lesson.
• Electives – Want to know what’s out there for today’s string musicians? TSSC has gained a reputation for bringing new and unique electives to the music camp experience. For the eighth straight year, TSUSC is proud to offer a variety of electives including Composition and Arranging, Improv, Conducting, , Cello Choir, Viola Choir, Music History and Appreciation, lecture about Careers in Music and Instrumental Techniques!
• All State Etude Clinic – Offered for those high school students (entering grades 9-12) who wish to begin intensive preparation for the 2022 TMEA All-State Auditions in November.
• Chamber Music – Selected students will rehearse and perform chamber works at the Student Chamber Recital on Saturday afternoon before the Final Concert. All students will spend the week of camp working in trios, quartets and small ensembles with a designated TSUSC Faculty member as a mentor and coach.
This exceptional week of music making will close with a free-admission.
Final Concert on Saturday June 25th, 2022:
11:00 am: Concertante and Philharmonia Ensembles
1:00pm: Sinfonia and top string quartets at TSUSC.
The Final Concerts will include performances by each of the Camp Orchestras and is open to all teachers, family, friends and guests.