Each year at TSSC we look for new and exciting ways to let strings students express themselves! Elective classes are designed to enhance the traditional camp experience with a variety of creative courses. Electives are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, so make sure to indicate your choices when you register!
**All-State Clinic participants may enroll in one elective; all other students will be placed in two electives according to preference.
· Fiddling - Study authentic Irish and Bluegrass melodies, learn the art of embellishment, and begin the practice of improvisation in the fiddling style. This class is open to violinists of all levels and violists familiar with treble clef.
· Composing/Arranging – Learn how to compose and arrange for small string ensembles! Students will develop their musical imagination and creativity by composing and/or arranging musical works. Students will also explore a range of techniques and styles, and develop an appreciation of arranging and/or composing as a creative music-making process.
· Music History and Appreciation – Baroque, Classical, Romantic and 20th century styles and periods of music will be discussed with attention to the development and importance of string instruments in music history. Students will gain knowledge about composers, artists and other interesting facts about music history.
· Instrumental Techniques – Get to know the ins and outs of your instrument! We will work on vibrato, shifting, fingerboard geography, sight-reading skills and more. Explore tricks for better tuning and learn techniques for better rhythm and reading.
· Viola/Cello Choir - Those who have never experienced the thrill of playing in a low-string ensemble should consider this elective! Viola and cello students will learn pieces arranged for lower strings, strengthen rhythmic abilities and learn to “sing” on their instruments.
· Alternative Bass Styles – Are you fascinated by the versatility of the string bass? In the ever-changing arena of modern music, classically trained bass players also have the ability to play in multiple genres of music such as jazz, hip hop and salsa. In this elective, students will have a chance to push their skills to a new level by exploring the various alternative styles with members of TSSC thriving bass faculty! Students may opt to bring an electric bass or use their own upright acoustic. This class is open to string bass players only.