For 32 years, the Texas State String Camp has been providing extraordinary music faculty from the Texas State School of Music, a unique Hill Country atmosphere, innovative music ensembles and classes, and a week of memorable fun and friendship. Each summer almost 150 talented and motivated young people come to the Texas State String Camp to live, learn and perform with an unparalleled group of peers and educators.
The Texas State String Camp (TSSC) offers a one-of-a-kind summer program that strikes a chord with a diverse group of young string musicians — from classical aficionados, to aspiring improvisers, to fiddling fanatics. This year’s TSSC is scheduled for June 17 - June 23, 2018, on the campus of Texas State University and is carefully designed for violin, viola, cello and bass students ages 12 through 18. Students should have at least one year of experience playing and reading music. This annual event is sponsored by the Texas State University School of Music.
San Marcos, gateway to the picturesque Texas Hill Country, is the home of Texas State University. The university is located on the banks of the San Marcos River, which provides year-round recreational and leisure activities such as fishing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, camping and scuba diving to name a few. The glass-bottom boats at Aquarena Springs and the mysterious caves at Wonder World are only minutes away! San Marcos is strategically located in the center of the state of Texas, on IH-35, approximately midway between Austin and San Antonio.
Highlights during the week include:
· Daily rehearsals, classes and performances – Texas State string faculty members and guest clinicians from across the state will oversee all students as they rehearse/perform with one of four string orchestras and participate in chamber quartets/ensembles, music theory classes, string sectionals and electives.
· Private Lessons – Students may choose to enroll in up to three private lessons with a member of the Texas State faculty for an additional cost of $25 per half hour lesson.
· Electives – Want to know what’s out there for today’s string musicians? TSSC has gained a reputation for bringing new and unique electives to the music camp experience. TSSC is proud to offer a variety of electives including master classes, fiddling, cello choir, viola choir, music history and appreciation, and instrumental techniques!
· All State Etude Clinic – Offered for those high school students (entering grades 9-12) who wish to begin intensive preparation for the 2018 TMEA All-State Auditions in November.
· Chamber Music – Selected students will rehearse and perform chamber works at the student chamber recital on Saturday afternoon before the final concert. All students will spend the week of camp working in trios, quartets and small ensembles with a designated TSSC faculty member as a mentor and coach.
This exceptional week of music making will close with a free-admission final concert on: Saturday June 23rd, 2018, at 11:00 am and 1:00 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. The final concert will include performances by each of the camp orchestras and is open to all teachers, family, friends and guests.