Undergraduate Audition Requirements
If you have specific repertoire questions that are not answered by the information below, contact the/one of the applied lesson faculty members for your instrument/voice part.
Classical Degree Audition Requirements
- Must sing/play the required audition materials (see below) for a faculty committee based on their vocal part/instrumental area
- Classical vocalists must submit a pre-screen video to the media tab of your Accepted application and submit your application one month prior to the audition date selected. A decision as to whether you will be invited to our live auditions on the date that you selected will be made as soon as possible after your application is submitted.
- Students interested in Composition must submit an additional portfolio documents to the media tab based on the portfolio requirements to be considered for this degree option. A decision as to whether you will be invited to interview the day of our live auditions will be made as soon as possible after your application is submitted.
- Students interested in SRT must submit an additional pre-screen video to the media tab based on the SRT video requirements to be considered for this degree option. A decision as to whether you will be invited to interview the day of our live auditions will be made as soon as possible after your application is submitted.
Latin - Mariachi Degree Audition Requirements
BM - Music Studies, Choral - Mariachi
- Must sing and play the required audition materials for the Latin Music Studies faculty committee
Jazz Degree Audition Requirements
- Must play the required audition materials (see below) for the jazz faculty committee. No classical audition is required.
- Electric bass students may audition/be accepted on this instrument. However, once at Texas State, you will be required to transition to Double Bass.
- Admission to the School of Music is contingent on admission to the University via the ApplyTexas application. Select pre-music on the ApplyTexas Application as the desired degree plan.
- Any prospective music student who is unable to audition in person due to geographic distance from Texas State (out-of-state or out-of-country may submit an video recording of the required repertoire for their instrument or voice, representative of their performing abilities (see below) on the media tab of their Acceptd application.
- Admission will be based upon the students audition and available space in each studio. A successful audition does not automatically ensure acceptance to the University or the School of Music.
- Prospective music majors will not be permitted to enroll in applied music and other music majors classes until acceptance is granted via a performance audition.