Undergraduate Admissions Checklist
Step 1: Complete the Texas State University Undergraduate Admission Application
Step 2: Submit a School of Music Audition Request Form
- Application requires a resume upload (template available on the website above). If using a previously existing resume, it must include:
- Full name (including middle name or initial), postal address, phone number and primary email address. Note, a correct email address is very important as this is where all information pertaining to the audition as well as the audition results are sent.
- Name & address of current school
- Name & phone number of band/choir/orchestra director(s) (if applicable)
- Name & phone number of private lessons teacher(s) on auditioning/primary instrument or voice
- Number of years of piano lessons (if any and if piano is not the auditioning/primary instrument)
- Honors & Awards, including, but not limited to: number of years in all region and/or all state ensembles; number of years of region and/or state solo competitions including highest rating received (if any)
- Work/Volunteer & Musical Performance experience (if any)
- Enter the names and email addresses of at least two people (one music and one non-music) who are willing to write a letter of recommendation. They will be contacted by email and asked to submit their letter electronically to the applicant’s online application.
- Deadlines for receipt of Online Audition Request and all required documents are:
- Sound Recording Technology applicants: 4 weeks prior to audition date selected. Visit the SRT website http://www.txstate.edu/music/srt/ for the exact deadline.
- All other Music applicants: 1 week prior to the audition date selected.
Step 3: Audition Preparation
- Choose music based on the instrument/voice type selected on the application (classical or jazz) and level (freshman/transfer) if applicable on the Undergraduate Audition Repertoire link.
Step 4: Audition Day
- Registration 8:00am 9:00am (those who register first, audition first)
- Auditions begin at 9:15am
- Aural Diagnostic (see music website for details)
NOTE: In person auditions are preferred, however, prospective music students who are unable to audition in person due to geographic distance from campus (out of state/country) may attach a recorded audition that represents the students best performing abilities via the Audition Request Form (under the media tab).
Step 5: Acceptance to Texas State & the School of Music
Texas State Acceptance
- The acceptance process can take up to 6 weeks
- Residence Life will send application after acceptance
- Orientation packets are sent in early May
- Orientation website - check for useful info
- Each student will meet with the Undergraduate Music Advisor during orientation to determine class schedule.
- Students will register for classes during orientation
School of Music Acceptance
- Acceptance to the School of Music is contingent upon admission to the University. NOTE: If you have not already been accepted to Texas State or who have not even applied, audition results will be delayed.
- Refer to University Admissions policies for admissions requirements.
- Results will be sent via email within two weeks of auditioning with one of three results: “accepted”, “not accepted”, or “pending”. If a “pending” status is given, the student is on a waiting list until a more definite decision can be made. They will be notified when their status has been finalized to either “accepted” or “not accepted”.
- If an acceptance letter is received, it must be returned to confirm intention of attending Texas State.
- Students will be asked to indicate on their signed acceptance letter, their top 3 applied lesson faculty choices for areas with multiple instructors.
- Attend summer orientation (see above)
Phone: 512.245.3375 Fax: 512.245.8181 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org