Fall 2017 Texas State Symphony Orchestra Audition Information
Orchestra rehearses Monday/Wednesday/Friday 2:00pm-3:50pm in MUS 224 with the exception of the first week:
Monday, August 28: No rehearsal
Wednesday, August 30: Strings only rehearsal
Friday, September 1: Tutti Orchestra rehearsal
Prior to rehearsals, there will be auditions. Please do not worry about this unnecessarily! String seating changes each program; wind, brass and percussion also rotate so that everyone gets an opportunity to play in different sections, and/or sit in a different part of the section. The audition is a chance for the conductors to get to know you, and to get to know your playing a little bit better.
WIND BRASS AND PERCUSSION AUDITION INFORMATION IS LOCATED AT:
STRING AUDITION INFORMATION:
When: Monday, August 28 and Tuesday, August 29 (Sign up for a time beginning August 21)
Where: Music Building, room 147 (Dr. Watson’s Office)
What: The last movement (Finale, Andante Maestoso) of Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5. Hard copies of this music will be available for collection from the notice board outside Dr. Watson's office beginning Monday, August 21.
Violinists: All returning TXST violinists should prepare the Violin 1 part, if possible.
Suggestions for preparing your orchestra part:
- Print out and look over your part
- Listen to a recording of the piece while following your part
- Listen again to the piece following a score. This will help you see how your part fits into the orchestra as a whole. The score can be found here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.5,_Op.64_(Tchaikovsky,_Pyotr)
- Begin to learn your part slowly, carefully and accurately to the best of your ability
- Most important: have fun learning new pieces and discovering all the awesome orchestra music you will be playing! ;)
The first orchestra performance is October 2, and the repertoire is:
Verdi Overture to Nabucco
Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5
Still have questions or not sure about something?
Email Dr Watson: email@example.com